Today, my dad got this at the hospital for me. He doesn’t know much about my depression or how I’m feeling but it’s things like this tell me that he still cares, even if he doesn’t fully understand.
- Mom: You shouldn't have told him you loved him.
- Me: But I did love him...
- Mom: Yeah, but you loved him too much. You never let a guy know you love him more than anything. Because then they won't care if they hurt you, because they know you love him. They know you're not gonna do anything about it. Once they know they have control over you, is when they start using it against you and take you for granted. He won't care what he does to you, because he knows you care enough to stay with him no matter what he puts you through.
- Me: But what if you love someone enough that you WOULD do anything for him?
- Mom: You need to stop that. I taught you to be stronger than this. You don't NEED any guy. Where's your independence? You let people take advantage of you so much, what's wrong with you? You need to be bigger than that. The next guy, don't let him hurt you. If he pushes you over, you push him out on the street. My daughter doesn't deserve that.
Love your parents. We are so busy growing up, we often forget they are also growing old.
Unknown (via losed)